Research Questions 2Thesis & FMP
- Digital archiving
- Online dating
Why do I care?
- I’m curious about archiving the online content of popular culture, I think it is important to document the media that dominated the generation Y and predict the outcome of future media or online entertainment for future generations.
- I am interested in how the behaviour and norms of dating has been shifted by hookup apps. (relate to point 3)
- I am interested in human gestures and postures relating to my personal background in dance.
The big questions:
How did hookup apps change socializing behaviour & gestures?
How do we archive digital content to tell the pop culture history to the future?
- What can the data collected by Tinder be used for in the future? The value of their digital archive? Anyone could create a dating app and collect information. (ex. bike service in china used to generate small registration fee and used to invest, the business is not renting bikes, competition for users)
- How different are profiles online vs real people?
- A digital archive of a person is their online history, is this used in online dating apps to rate/categorize/suggest people?
- What are the outsider taboo relationships of the future?
- How to create the most popular Tinder profile for a robot from the data collected by Tinder? (Using the success/fail history to decipher patterns in successful features) People will be having relationships with machines.
- Does hookup apps change how we travel around the city/world?
- Are there links between certain gestures (micromovements) and attraction?
- How to tell if someone is on certain app? The “typical” gesture of a Tinder/Grindr/etc user? (ex. Grindr used to have a yellow screen)
- If more dangerous things arise from dating apps, is it worth looking into making legal and illegal guidelines?
- How do we archive the digital medium that dominated western popularity? (cat video, vine, pokemon go)
- Maybe it is not about archiving digital content but rather how to sort through them to pick out important moments worth remembering? http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/in-the-future-we-will-photograph-everything-and-look-at-nothing (Google Photos AI)
- **Can we archive the movements of today with digital social technology? Are we moving a a different pace?
- What gestures are associated with dating a robot?
- What new habits, gestures, words, etc. in youth culture has emerged from Tinder?http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/news/a6528/15-new-words-you-need-when-talking-about-tinder/
Anyone who has only had online relationships (ethnographical research)
People who use many different apps & the gestures associated with each, what distinguishes them from each other?
*An archive of online dating gifs, memes https://giphy.com/search/tinder (can show the expressions, emotions ppl have associated with dating app)
Make a performance of gestures from online dating (swipe, like etc.)
Make an archive of the movements of today with digital social tech.